Friday, May 20, 2011

So...

I'm moving to Philadelphia!

"Why in the world are you moving to Philly?" you may ask. That, my friend, is a legitimate question. I'm definitely not a city girl -- besides that weird stint in Moscow (complicated, and I was 8), I've mostly lived in the burbs. Public transportation kind of freaks me out. I'm used to people smiling and saying hello when they pass on the sidewalk. I don't really want to be mugged. Buuuut I just graduated (hallelujah) and it's time for me to get a big girl job, and I got offered a pretty sweet one at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (called CHOP...really). 


It's one of the best children's hospitals in the country, and I'm still waiting for them to call and tell me there's been a mistake and they didn't actually mean to hire me, but until then, I'm going to fake it 'til I make it. I get to do speech therapy and diagnostics with kids with autism (my love). I start in June. Holy crap.

I'm sure I'm going to be learning a lot of things (usually the hard way) when I start this new phase of my life. Here are a few nuggets I've realized in my past few visits:

1.The liberty bell is smaller than you think it will be.
2. Camden, NJ, one of the most dangerous areas in the US, is right across the river from where I'll be living. Yes.
3. I need to get a cute little dog to walk around town if I ever stand a chance of fitting in.
4. Everyone honks their horns. A lot.
5. Ben Franklin was kiiind of a player.
6. People will look at you funny when you say y'all. But I continue to stand my ground: it is a very useful word. What do you want me to say? Yous guys? Blehhh.
7. Cheesesteaks should be ordered with cheez whiz, referred to as just "whiz." I would never eat whiz in any other context, but holy crap, it is so good.
8. You have to have cash to buy said cheesesteaks.
9. The cheesesteak workers will make fun of you tirelessly if you don't have cash.
10. Sometimes your hotel won't have water. Then you'll have to go take a shower at the local Y.*

*This may not be a common occurrence in Philly, but it's happened 1/3 of the times I've been there, so it's hard to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment