Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Night to Shine

I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty sure I had more fun on Saturday night than you did.

This is kind of a roundabout and boring story, but basically I found out that UNC's homecoming queen was putting together a prom for people with disabilities for her service project. She contacted local high schools, advocacy groups and group homes to invite people with varying types of mental and physical disabilities to do something they don't get to do often enough - have fun and be themselves.

I'll admit something to you. At about 4:00 on Saturday, I was less than enthused. The past few weeks have been unbelievably busy (less than 2 months until graduation!) and I had spent the morning running all over the Triangle assessing kids for a research project (yet another thing I agreed to do without really thinking how little free time I already had). Anyway, I was definitely regretting my choice to give up the gorgeous sunny day to hang up Christmas lights in a stuffy room.

But two hours later, when these awesome individuals started to arrive, I could not stop grinning. It was obvious that some had taken all day to get ready - the girls had their hair curled and looked beautiful, the boys looked so dapper in their tuxedos. I loved peeking out the windows and seeing them exchanging corsages in the parking lot. The moment that gave me the chills was when Monica, the queen, came out in her crown and sash and immediately put them on each girl to take a picture - they were the real queens of the night!

I spent the rest of the evening cutting a rug with a bunch of studs. It's okay, you can be jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment